Sunday, June 28, 2009

Babies are here a little early....Birth of Twins

June 26 2009 this is the first glimpse that I and Jim had of the babies as it was the same  picture Roxanne showed them to me in.

Remember I said that Jim was on his way home  for his 4 day leave Thursday, so I had to clean? That along with the hot sun swollen ankles, I could not even stand to work no more to get ready for his leave by Wednesday the 24th. I was finally exhausted and had to sit for the day with my feet up.  On Thursday June 25th I told him I loved him good bye and I would see him when he got home for his leave. He got dropped off at the airport in Seattle and headed to a straight flight to Chicago that he would then catch a plane to Michigan. So I was busy trying to get the house in order for his short weekend he would get with us as it was still not totally unpacked and in order. I  Went next door to my dad’s for a few. I told him I needed to borrow some cleaner so I could finish up before Jim got home and I went to look for some, I thought I left in the bathroom.  When I bent down I felt something wet. I walked out where my brother was typing on the net and said “Either I Just peed my pants or my water broke.”  My brother’s look went funny and said “Ughhhhhh…” As I sat in my dad’s chair I said...”Ugh Yeah! It’s my water.” My brother immediately says "I don’t know what to do. What do I do miss?” Watch my kids so Dad and Deb (Dads GF)  can take me to the hospital. 

So we get into her really nice newer truck, and I ask for a towel in case I leak all over. I still was not sure that I had not peed myself. I asked if my dad was sure he did not want front, as I was used to sitting in back for adults. Yeah, I am 30 something but still.  So all the way there I was still not sure.
We got to the nearest hospital “Gerber” and Jim called saying he was at the airport in Seattle waiting for his flight. I said “Well! Honey I am in the hospital and either my water broke or I am peeing on myself they are going to check it to see what it is. He said “okay bye love you see you when I get home and hung up.” I got off and said I don’t think he understood me.

 The doctor came back saying it was amniotic fluid. He said they were transferring me to The Spectrum as they have the children’s hospital there and it is better for premature twins.  They gave me something to stop my labor also while I went in the 45 minute ambulance ride. They had discussed aero med but decided to go with an ambulance as it was not available. That would have been my first time in the air ever which made me more nervous. I was 32 weeks pregnant by the way. By this time I was bawling as I realized they would be born early and I was worried about them. I had to wait at the hospital to be stabilized before they could send me. I called my labor coach and told her I was up at Gerber and my dad and his girlfriend were with me and what was going on. I told her Jim was on his way but was at the airport in Washington last time we spoke. She said okay and she let me go. I got off the  phone crying and saying “I don’t think she is coming.”  

My phone then died and I had to leave a message hoping Jimmy would get it.

 I decided to call her back and ask and she had thought that I had my dad and his GF, and Jim was coming so that I did not need her.  Glad I called her back and got that straight.  I think it was 2 or 3 am when I made it to the hospital. Jim had been looking for a flight to get here sooner and that was why he hung up so abruptly. There were no spots anywhere even for a soldier to get home so he was stuck waiting out his whole flight that did not arrive in Grand Rapids until the afternoon on Friday. By that time he had missed the birth. 

When I arrived at the hospital in Grand Rapids they said they were going to stop my meds that were holding back labor and give me a natural child birth. I fought with the nurses as the whole time I was pregnant I went to Maternal Fetal Medicine High Risk pregnancy for my baby b and his cord being attached improperly. Forget the term for it but the doctor had told me that whole they were delivering Baby a vaginally that Baby B would have a chance of the cord coming loose and would bleed to death. For this reason the doctors had planned the whole time to give me a c- section. So here I was telling them they were not going to stop my med and make this happen and the nurse was going against my orders and shut it off already to make me go through a natural labor. I finally got one of the nurses to listen to me and they called a Dr in who was there to do the Emergency C- section. I wish I knew who that nurse was now. L 

While in the labor room I was unable to see the birth and I was unable to totally see my babies across the room. I know I did not hear the 2nd baby cry and I was worried. I remember asking why he isn’t  it crying. Roxanne said he was I just could not hear him. So When I tried to see my babies I could not so I told Roxanne to take a picture of them and this was the one she took. This is the first glimpse I had of my babies. This is also the first my husband seen of them along with a video that was emailed to him while he sat at a Chicago airport.  
So right after they were born I seen Doctors coming in with a magnifying glass. Being a little drugged I said “Oh wow they are really looking them over good here at this hospital. I have never had them do that before.” Both babies were born with a sacral dimple on their Butts. What they were looking for was a hole to see if that was closed or open. If it was open it for sure would have meant Spina Bifida. I was still happy go lucky though as Roxanne did not tell me that she knew what they were doing. She wanted to wait so I did not get scared. I am glad for that.\

Once they were born and in recovery I was in and out trying to stay awake all day waiting for my husband who never showed up until 5 pm Friday.  The babies were fine and even had good apgar scores which I forgot now. It was amazing to me that they were able to go home on Sunday so we could spend time with Jim for one day before he had to go back. 

Even though Jim was and is  here, I miss him... Does that make sense? It was like he was so sad that he would have to leave that he was quiet at the hospital. We spent a night in my bed together with our babies and now he is out playing with the kids spending time with them and the babies while I am in here supposed to be resting. I wish we had the time to bond as a family. I am sad that he has to leave them behind after only seeing them for the 2 days but at the same time god has allowed them to be born in perfect timing. Maybe that is my body wanting him to be here with me for it... I am not sure.. but they are home one day earlier than they should be released for being born c section and twins and they are healthy. They don't have names yet
 Oh yeah the babies were 4 pounds 11 and 4 pounds 12 ounces. 
 I am breast feeding and have to pump every 2 hours... time to pump and sleep.


Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind comments. After I have recently began getting many spam comments with links in them to sites that are less than family friendly, I decided to stop allowing anonymous comments. Please feel free to comment on our Facebook if you do not have a way to comment on here. It is pretty easy to sign up though. Missy